Thursday 5 April 2012

Two Months of Booked!


When I (Yaw) was asked to be a part of Booked I was honoured. Not all of the members of the Booked team knew each other super well before we started our blog, but we recognized each other from campus because of our distinctive styles and mutual friends. Until I sat down with Liam, Cam, and Tori for the first time at the Well, I didn’t realize how passionate they were about fashion and creativity in general; the one thing we have in common is our creativity. When someone gets “Booked” it means (in our own subjective opinion) that they have a certain effortlessness and type of creativity in their way of dressing that is uniquely theirs. When Tori put forward this initial idea to showcase UBCO students for their individuality and personality through their everyday “street style” I jumped on the idea, but I didn't know how it was going to be received by our fellow friends and classmates. We're so humbled by how much interest you have all shown us. Booked just reached 23 000 views in 2 months not because of our simple idea, but rather because we have amazing students at UBCO with original style, creativity, and dynamic personalities who we can showcase.Now I must also acknowledge the people overseas who follow our blog, from as far away as Russia!  (Seriously, Russia???) We love you! I just want to say I was really confused when I was looking at our blog stats and realized we have a substantial following in Russia but we’ll take it and run. To our readers from the United Kingdom, United States, Germany, Australia, Norway, Hong Kong as well as Bolivia, we are overwhelmed and grateful for your views.  UBCO students and the Kelowna community-at-large have been amazing in supporting us and we can’t sufficiently express our thanks, and how excited we always are to be able to show your peers and the world the great style you bring to the table on a daily basis.

After our two-month mark, one incident in particular made me want to make this post to thank our readers. I was approached yesterday by a boy named Warren who is from Jamaica. He expressed his love for our blog and how he feels inspired by what we’re doing. After talking with him for a short time I noticed him using the same language we use to describe people’s wardrobe; he kept calling clothes "pieces" as if one’s expression is attributed to their outfits.  In terms of his own style he told me that living in New York as well as Jamaica gave him a mix of influences in terms of what he wears. He also references 70s styles and rap stars like Kanye West. Warren talked about his experiences at UBCO and how being out here in Kelowna "has showed him how everyone has a unique sense of style and how nobody looks like each other." It was talking to Warren for half an hour that made me want to do a shout out to the viewers of Booked and on behalf of every member of our team WE LOVE YOU! 

-Yaw

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ONE LOVE!