Tuesday 31 January 2012

Yaw

Yaw is Booked 




There's only so much I really need to say about Yaw; his style speaks for itself, and it speaks loudly.  He has arguably the most distinctive look on campus.  When Tori and I began to discuss starting a style blog, we knew Yaw had to be featured somewhere...  That 'somewhere' ended up being on the team with us producing Booked. 

"I'll never see someone else wearing exactly what I am, even if they have one part that's the same."

Clothes just look a certain way on Yaw, and he takes full advantage of that.  The man is a master of proportion  he can pull off long cardigans and harem pants in a way seldom seen off a runway. Between layering, adding colour, and playing with proportion, Yaw ends up coming with something new every day; something neither he nor anyone else has worn before.  By always trying to build something new, Yaw has expanded the possibilities of his personal style beyond the parameters most people keep themselves within.  Where you or I would put on a longsleeve shirt over top of a tank, Yaw might wear a tank top over a henley over a longsleeve, allowing him to display more layers and more colours.  

"I love the James Dean look, the Marlon Brando... but then there's than hip-hop in there: I always wanted to be the next Spike Lee, wearing a ballcap every day until I die.  It's about taking people I admire and getting little parts that are me, or can be me."

Yaw points to his Chicago upbringing as the reason for his flavour and his hardness.  Becasue of Chicago, a Yaw outfit can be manly even if it's extravagent, can be assertive even when it's dignified.  Meanwhile, as an artist, Yaw has a fearlessness in what he wears, and an abstractness.  Visually, he's a statement; the medium (or XL, or small, or any other size he wants) is the message. 

"Maybe because I draw, I love the idea of the triangle, the look of wide shoulders and smaller legs"

The thing about Yaw's style is that it never feels inappropriate for the situation.  You never think "oh, he's dressed too fancy for school" like you might if you see Liam in a high-fashion look.  Yaw combines classy cardigans with sweatpants, or a herringbone overcoat witha 90s ballcap, and it all makes sense.  It becomes one self-contained thing that just feels right, and is distinctly and recognizably Yaw.  You don't question it.  You just know it's that way, and it will always be that way.  If you know Yaw, you know there's no other way it could be. 

-Cam